Purple Zone
WELCOME 2 THE DAWN
Purple Zone

Pour les fans de Prince et du Minneapolis Sound : Plus de passion, moins de prises de tête...

AccueilEnter the ZoneCalendrierS'enregistrerConnexion
Sujets similaires

Partagez | 

THE UNDERTAKER

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 

Pour vous, ce dvd est ?
     - Très mauvais / Crappy
     - Mauvais / Bad
     - Médiocre / Average
     - Assez bon / Quite good
     - Bon / Good
     - Très bon / Awesome
    Voir les résultats
    AuteurMessage
    anastasia
    Official Purple Princess

Féminin Messages : 2635

MessageSujet: THE UNDERTAKER   Dim 3 Jan - 21:12

[Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image]

This video tape was released in 1995 alongside another one called “The Sacrifice Of Victor,” both of which were released in order to fulfill Prince’s contract with Warner Brothers Records. Just like most of the video collections released by Prince in the 1990s, as well as the TV specials “Love 4 1 Another” and “The Beautiful Experience,” he’s decided to try & tell us a story rather than just give us a straight up live performance from himself on the Blue Angel electric guitar, Michael Bland on the drums & Sonny Thompson on the bass guitar. That line up alone should tell you exactly how incredible this video is going to be.
    In the opening scene, we’re met with quite an attractive young woman, (“Las Vegas” actress Vanessa Marcil) sneaking into Paisley Park in order to use a public telephone. She proceeds to dial her lover, Victor, to tell him that she’s a changed woman and is ready to give their relationship another chance. Obviously she was being sarcastic because she pretends to be upset when he starts to threaten to hang up on her. In the end, she pulls the plug out of the public phone, lets out quite an evil cackle, rummages through her handbag and throws down a few pills.

Suddenly Vanessa is tripping so hard she falls into the rehearsal room with Prince & The NPG jamming to…

The Ride. The song is a great blues number filled with plenty of sexual innuendos. “If you’ve got the time baby. I’ve got the ride.” Even though this is quite an enjoyable tune, halfway through it there is an unfortunate, abrupt pause. Vanessa is now throwing up those pills behind a couch. Charming. I never thought I’d see somebody being sick in a Prince video. After that brief chunder, which sounds to me more like a gargle & spit, Prince & the NPG continue jamming on “The Ride” for a few more minutes. The film then fades to black & the next track begins.

Poorgoo. Apparently this song was written about Prince’s former guitar technician whose name was Magoo. I’d say Prince was just mucking around with ideas on this track, nothing to be taken too seriously. In fact, I’ve got some trivia for ya….this recording session was actually supposed to be released as an album at one stage in P’s career. It was even pressed up & ready to go out to the stores. But because he was fighting with Warner Brothers at the time, the bastards made him destroy all exisiting copies. So, of course it ended up being bootlegged all over the place. Anyhow, in the bootlegged version of this song (I don’t recall ever picking this up while watching the video tape), you can actually hear Sonny T laughing his head off while Prince is singing the opening lyrics. Other than that it’s a great piece of psychedelic funk/rock. Speaking of which, from this performance onwards, Prince’s performances are combined with psychedelic colours & graphics in order to simulate Vanessa’s high. Towards the end of this song, Prince slides his pick up against his guitar neck and he and the band launch into…

Honky Tonk Woman. Yes. That same “Honky Tonk Women” by The Rolling Stones. Truth be told, at first I found it to be quite strange for Prince to be covering this particular song. At that point in my life I never really associated him with the Rolling Stones for some reason, but I later discovered that he admired their work immensley. He was even quoted as such, even though he was also abused by a bunch of hardcore Stones fans very early in his career. The three of them most definitely tear this song to shreds…in fact I even witnessed Prince performing this one at a soundcheck in 2003, where he imitated Mick Jagger. Classic moment.

When I first saw this video, my jaw instantly hit the ground as soon as he started playing the opening guitar riff from the song “Bambi” from his 2nd album. It’s very rare that Prince performs this one, but when he does….you’d better look out cuz he’ll rock the house. Literally. Even though he only sings the first verse on this video, he totally blows the original version out of the water. After a great big guitar solo & some overall playing around with effects pedals it’s time for…….

Zannalee: This was my first introduction to this song….in fact it was probably where a lot of folks first heard this track. As it states on the back of the video case, it’s a “prelude,” which means he only plays the few guitar riffs from it & moves onto the next track. The entire song appeared on his album “Chaos & Disorder” from the following year. With that we move straight into the next track on the video.

The Undertaker: This song has a very stripped down rock/blues sound to it combined with a very strong anti drugs & violence message. It also features some really long guitar solos from Mr Nelson, which is the main reason why nobody can perform this song like Prince. Not even Mavis Staples who recorded her own version on her album “The Voice,” also from 1993. I’m not saying her version sucked though cause it didn’t. Prince performed this song in 1999 & threw it onto his “Rave Un2 The Year 2000″ DVD. I think he kinda ruined the vibe of the song though because he added horns.

One more song for the road……

Dolphin: The version on this video tape is a lot rawer than the one that eventually got released. In fact, to my ears, it’s so guitar heavy that at times it almost sounds punk. The studio version on the other hand, is more of a straight up rock & pop tune.

SOURCE : theadamoopinion.wordpress.com
    Revenir en haut Aller en bas
    Invité
    Invité

MessageSujet: Re: THE UNDERTAKER   Dim 3 Jan - 21:18

Très bon.
    anastasia
    Official Purple Princess

Féminin Messages : 2635

MessageSujet: Re: THE UNDERTAKER   Dim 3 Jan - 21:34

Je n'ai pas accroché (en fait je l'ai regardé une seule fois puis rangé).
    En plus, je n'ai plus de lecteur VHS Neutral
    chris69
    Power Fantastic

Masculin Messages : 652

MessageSujet: the undertaker   Dim 3 Jan - 22:42

excellent, les versions sont superbes
    dreamer
    Power Fantastic

Masculin Messages : 562

MessageSujet: Re: THE UNDERTAKER   Dim 3 Jan - 23:21

alors, au niveau son et performance, c'est une fois de + Shocked Shocked

et à nouveau dommage, la manière de filmer, la caméra penchée qui vous fait pencher votre tête et vous donne un torticolis, la Vanessa Marcil -> on s'en fout (surtout quand elle gerbe, bravo la classe !!)
    j'ai l'audio, c'est absolument gigantesque, sans cette fameuse "coupure gerbe" sur The Ride,
    là on s'aperçoit qu'il a tronqué le solo qui est + long en vrai, et "dolphin" une vrai version live et pas une sorte de remix de l'album.....
    Starfish
    Power Fantastic

Masculin Messages : 477

MessageSujet: Re: THE UNDERTAKER   Dim 3 Jan - 23:27

Je ne l'ai jamais vu. Donc...
    Ami
    Billy Jack Bitch
    Billy Jack Bitch

Féminin Messages : 168

MessageSujet: Re: THE UNDERTAKER   Dim 9 Mai - 20:00

I don't know...I never understand of story. Is there story?? lol! great version of songs but I want more than video - CD! WHY? WHY so stupid WB? faint
    Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: THE UNDERTAKER   Aujourd'hui à 18:11

THE UNDERTAKER
    Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Revenir en haut 
    Page 1 sur 1