Purple Zone
WELCOME 2 THE DAWN
Purple Zone

Pour les fans de Prince et du Minneapolis Sound : Plus de passion, moins de prises de tête...

AccueilEnter the ZoneCalendrierS'enregistrerConnexion

Partagez | 

Josh Dunham

Voir le sujet précédent Voir le sujet suivant Aller en bas 
AuteurMessage
marysharon
Her Royal Badness

Féminin Messages : 2782

MessageSujet: Josh Dunham   Mer 23 Juin - 9:44

Joshua Dunham est originaire de Houston (Texas), ce bassiste joue avec Prince en 2006. Il est marié à Cora Coleman Dunham, batteur qui joue également avec Prince.

Il a un album solo à son actif, Reinvigorate, pour lequel ont aussi contribués Terrence Vaughn, (producteur/pianiste) Rhonda Smith; Jerry Henry (pianiste), Tim Stewart, (guitarist pour la tournée American Idol aux US) Nakitta Clegg-Foxx, (qui chante avec Kurt Carr Singers), Donald Hayes (saxophoniste /film scorer), LeJuan Samual (producteur/chanteur) Terry Banks (batteur/ producteur) and Cora Dunham .

[Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir ce lien]

Josh interviewé par Ben Goodman pour bassplayer en février 2007

How did you land the Prince gig?

My wife and I were playing with [soul-jazz singer/ keyboardist] Frank McComb in California, and Prince came to hear us at a club. After that, he contacted Frank, wanting to put a band together. We rehearsed for like a month, Prince came out and heard us, and we started doing his house parties. Then Frank decided to do his own thing, but Prince called us about two months later to do the tracks for 3121.

How did those tracks come together?

When we got to the studio we didn’t know what we were going to be doing. Prince would show us something and we’d rehearse it for about 15 minutes. Then he’d say, “Okay, let’s beat it.” [Laughs.]

How would you describe your feel in relation to the beat?

With Prince, it’s kind of on top or sometimes grooving in the middle. But it’s different with different people. When I was doing hip-hop stuff the feel was laid back, but when I played gospel it was on top.

What has been crucial in developing your rhythmic sense?

The technique I use. I play with two fingers plucking in time, but I’m also doing this percussive thing on top where I’m tapping the strings with my fingertips. It’s kind of weird, but that’s how I used to practice when I didn’t have a metronome: I would play and tap at the same time to keep rhythm. Working with odd meter patterns really helps with your counting, too. For dynamics, with certain notes I’ll hit hard on the first one and then ghost the second one.

What have you learned through your career about applying the right feel and developing a great part?

It’s about placement and listening to others. That’s really important. Have some rules, but keep an open mind about it. My thing is just about listening, being tasteful, and being aware of the other musicians. Also, you have to be open, and listen to everything. Don’t limit yourself to a certain style or genre of music. You’ve got to be open to rock, funk, R&B, or whatever.

Source: [Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir ce lien]

[Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image]

Contribution de Josh après d'un luthier pour le design d'une basse 5 cordes (ressemblant de très près à la Cloud Guitar)

[Vous devez être inscrit et connecté pour voir cette image]

L'article en anglais par Jake Wolf

Dernière édition par marysharon le Mer 23 Juin - 10:57, édité 2 fois
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
http://purplezone.zikforum.com
marysharon
Her Royal Badness

Féminin Messages : 2782

MessageSujet: Re: Josh Dunham   Mer 23 Juin - 10:37

Josh et sa femme Cora